What is the online marketing?
Online marketing (or digital marketing) encompasses all those advertising and commercial actions and strategies that are executed in the media and internet channels.
This phenomenon has been applied since the 1990s as a way of transferring offline marketing techniques to the digital universe.
The tools of online marketing
Online marketing puts at our disposal a series of tools of great diversity from which they can be carried out from small actions at practically zero cost to complex strategies (and obviously more expensive) in which infinite techniques and resources can be combined .
These are the main ones :
- Web or blog: Without a doubt, a website or blog are two of the main tools from which to centralize a digital marketing or inbound marketing campaign (digital strategy to attract users and convert them into customers by generating valuable content and not intrusive).
However, the use of a website or blog as a central axis does not imply exclusivity, but quite the opposite. It is possible to use, in a complementary or parallel way, other digital actions to give greater visibility to the campaigns: social networks, video platforms or forums, etc.
Once you are clear if you want to have a website, a blog or both, keep in mind that you will have to make other decisions. For example, what domain you will use, where you will host your page, how the site’s architecture will be, what content it will have, how you will create them, what techniques you will use to get users to reach your page. ..
- Search engines: Search engines, such as Google, Yahoo or Bing, are tools that allow internet users to find content related to what they are looking for.
To successfully position a page or blog in the top positions of search engines and get visitors, it is essential to perform organic positioning (SEO) or payment (SEM) actions in your online marketing strategy.
- Advertising display: It is the most traditional digital marketing branch. The billboard of the digital medium could be considered. These are advertisements (banners) of different sizes and formats (texts, images, graphics, videos …) that occupy a space on Internet sites in an attractive and striking way.
- Email marketing. This heiress of the classic buzoneo is, possibly, the most veteran tool but still effective because it has been able to adapt to changes and its ability to work in combination with other strategies, such as lead tracking and nutrition (lead nurturing).
Email marketing can be done to own or third-party databases, from which messages are generated in the form of newsletters, newsletters, catalogs, courses, etc.
- Social networks: These platforms, as you know, have not stopped growing and gaining popularity since the advent of digital marketing. In addition, they have managed to adapt perfectly to the changes and demands of users and consumer habits.
Social networks are completely effective for the dissemination of content, as well as for the creation of a brand community, branding and even online shopping, crisis management and customer service.
In addition, in many of them (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.) there is also the possibility of launching segmented online advertising campaigns, which can be a good complement to any online strategy.
The advantages of online marketing
Digital marketing is an essential strategy for brands because of the great opportunity for growth, positioning and sales or customer acquisition they represent.
Potential customers, or at least the vast majority, are constantly connected to the internet from the computer and, in recent years, also through their mobile phones or tablets.
This context has led to a wide range of advantages of digital marketing, among which are:
- Affordable costs. Online marketing is accessible in terms of budget, especially when compared to traditional marketing channels such as television, radio or the press.
- Greater ability to control, optimize and correct campaigns due to the collection and possibility of real-time consultation of the results obtained, in addition, in an exact way.
- Great flexibility and dynamism. With the possibility of carrying out tests and changes on the fly based on the results obtained and the behaviour of the users regarding a campaign.
- It allows a very specific, personalized and precise segmentation. In an online marketing campaign, the company can segment its campaigns taking into account the sociodemographic, psychological data of the users, as well as according to their behaviour on the internet.